Prince William cancel's his BAFTA Awards appearance after grandfather Prince Philip's death

By Lokmat English Desk | Published: April 11, 2021 02:00 PM2021-04-11T14:00:00+5:302021-04-11T14:00:00+5:30

The British Academy has confirmed that Prince William will no longer be taking part in the weekend's two virtual ...

Prince William cancel's his BAFTA Awards appearance after grandfather Prince Philip's death | Prince William cancel's his BAFTA Awards appearance after grandfather Prince Philip's death

Prince William cancel's his BAFTA Awards appearance after grandfather Prince Philip's death

Next

The British Academy has confirmed that Prince William will no longer be taking part in the weekend's two virtual BAFTA film awards ceremonies following the death of his grandfather, Prince Philip. "In light of The Duke of Edinburgh’s passing, The Duke of Cambridge will no longer be part of BAFTA programming this weekend," it said in a statement. "Our thoughts are with the Royal Family, to whom we offer our deepest sympathy at this time. "William, who serves as BAFTA president, had been due to appear in Saturday's ceremony in a pre-recorded conversation with costume designer Jenny Beavan and make-up and hair designer Sharon Martin, discussing the craft of filmmaking. On Sunday, he was set to deliver a speech via video, celebrating the resilience of the film industry over the past year. 

However, as reported by Variety, the Prince's appearance has now been cancelled considering he felt it inappropriate to get involved in a public event following the demise of the Duke of Edinburgh. The BAFTA Film Awards will continue to air as scheduled on the BBC. Prince Philip's passing was honoured with gun salutes across the UK including London, Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff. The royal family's official website has also been updated to pay tribute to the Duke and the incredible legacy he left behind. The Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen’s “strength and stay” for 73 years, died on April 9. A statement from Buckingham Palace on Friday said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss. ”He was the longest serving consort in British history, and was only months away from his 100th birthday in June.


 

Open in app