The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has imposed a Rs 1,000 fine on anyone caught not wearing a mask outside their homes.
The order comes as the city prepares for a long battle with the COVID-19 pandemic, hours after the Maharashtra government extended a lockdown for yet another time.
An order signed by BMC chief IS Chahal states:
1) All persons moving for whatsoever purpose and under whatever reason or authority in public places like street, office, shops, markets, clinics, hospital premises must compulsorily wear mask.
2. Any person who is moving around in his personal or official vehicle must compulsorily wear mask.
3. Any person travelling in public transport, working at any site/office/workplace must compulsorily wear mask.
4. No person, staff, officer will attend any meeting/gathering, workplace without compulsorily wearing mask.
5. The mask may be standard mask either three-ply mask or plain cloth mask which are available with the chemists or even homemade washable masks which can be reused after proper washing and disinfecting them.