Here are the highlights from PM Modi's speech:
- Festive season is here. People are crowding places. Lockdown might have been pulled down, but virus still here.
- We have travelled a long distance since the janata curfew was imposed. While many people have gone back to work, the danger of coronavirus is not over yet. India has managed to fare better than a lot of other more resource-rich nations. Our fatality rate is lower than developed countries.
- In India, the death rate at per million population is 83. On the contrary, in several countries such as US, UK and Brazil, the number is over 600. India has been successful in saving lives of its citizens better than more prosperous countries.
- India will soon cross the 10 crore test number, which has been a major asset in our fight against the pandemic. Our doctors, nurses and health workers have all served our massive population minutely. This is not the time to be careless.
- Many people have stopped taking precautions now. This is not right. If you are careless, walking out without a mask, then you are putting yourself, your family, your family's children, the elderly in as much trouble.
- In Europe, America and other countries, the number of cases have seen a hike yet again after seeing a reduction. We should continue to be careful and not be callous until the vaccine of the virus is created.
- Several versions of vaccines are being worked upon in India as well. Some of them are at advanced stage. The government is also working to prepare the nation to ensure that the vaccine reaches every India as soon as possible.
- PM Modi qotes Kabir, says the poet had said one should not rest till crops are brought home from the field. Similary, we should not relax till Covid brought under control. PM also quotes Ramcharitmaanas as saying an enemy, a mistake and an ailment should never be underestimated. Hence, we too should not underestimate Covid threat
आज शाम 6 बजे राष्ट्र के नाम संदेश दूंगा। आप जरूर जुड़ें।— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1318455079368855552?ref_src=tws…">October 20, 2020
Will be sharing a message with my fellow citizens at 6 PM this evening.