Marathi | HIndi

Epaper
Follow us:
Home >Photos >Health>IN PICS! Paracetamol overdose can damage your liver; check out warning signs
IN PICS! Paracetamol overdose can damage your liver; check out warning signs English.Lokmat.com

IN PICS! Paracetamol overdose can damage your liver; check out warning signs

Paracetamol is a common painkiller used to treat aches and pain. It can also be used to reduce a high temperature. It's available combined with other painkillers and anti-sickness medicines.
According to the NHS, the usual dose for adults is one or two 500mg tablets up to four times in 24 hours.
Paracetamol is safe for most people to take but exceeding the recommendations can have serious side effects.
As the NHS explains, nausea and vomiting can occur within a few hours of ingestion of a hepatotoxic dose.
Hepatotoxicity is the medical term for damage to the liver - a complication associated with overdosing.
"Drowsiness in the first one to two days after a single paracetamol overdose is unlikely to be due to liver failure, so consider other causes," adds the NHS.
As Bupa points out, taking too much paracetamol is easily done, as many different products contain paracetamol, particularly cold and flu medicines.
"Check all your medicines before you take them, to work out how much paracetamol you’re taking," advises the health body."Always read the patient information leaflet that comes with your medicine and ask your pharmacist if you have any questions."
Paracetamol overdose can result in liver damage which may be fatal so it is imperative to seek urgent medical attention.